Can NFQUEUE accept/continue when there is no userspace listener registered ?

Hi,

Is there any mechanism which would allow additional options to NFQUEUE target to instruct the kernel what to do:

--action-no-listener NF_ACCEPT|NF_DROP|CONTINUE (with NF_DROP being the default) --action-backlog-overflow NF_ACCEPT|NF_DROP|CONTINUE (with NF_DROP being the default)

Where CONTINUE would in effect ignore the existence of the "-j NFQUEUE" rule in the chain and continue to the next rule. I guess this is possible if the packet never made it to user-space.

Would there be any objections to providing a patch to kernel and userspace tooling to provide this configurable behavior ? Is it obviously useful to others ?

I am writing a non-critical userspace tool to fire Wake-on-LAN magic packets, if incoming TCP SYN "-p tcp --syn" is matched (and presumably forwarded). The SYN packet is always allowed to pass but the userspace tools then goes into monitoring mode in the period after each SYN packet, it looks for either a valid IPv4 or IPv6 neighbour entry (/sbin/ip neigh) and/or Echo Reply. As well as periodically monitoring the last known MAC address for each destination IP/IP6 to auto-learn.

This is not a critical application, I am looking for a minimal CPU overhead on the router and a best-effort service. It should never be the cause of a failure (to connect i.e. pass SYN packets) should it crash / not be running.

Your comments appreciated,

Darryl