Re: rules matching ipv6 prefix addrs

On Wednesday 2010-11-03 23:36, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>The prefix is set by the ISP and can change at any time.

I take it you mean a setup where addresses are automatically assigned
(DHCPv6, PPP).

Still I don't see the problem - any security-conscious person would use
a drop-by-default ruleset. So a change of prefix address would, if
anything, cause packets to get dropped in FORWARD. (What do we have the
"ip6table_filter.forward" module option for? Right. And why is it set to
ACCEPT by default? *headshakethere*)

>In IPv4 this is generally masked by NAT, but in IPv6 it affects every
>host.

Different scenario. Because packets from Internet are
only destined for your home gateway address, they would get locally
delivered in the normal case, and any forwarding is an opt-in
process on the admin's behalf.

If you used a FORWARD-DROP policy in IPv6, forwarding also becomes the
same opt-in process. So it's not like NAT would be any magic.