Re: Announcement: MAP66 extension for ip6tables

Good morning Amos,

Am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2010, um 02:13:58 schrieb Amos Jeffries:

[snip]

> > I don't plan to add NAT helpers for them, thats pointless somehow.
>
> FWIW: FTP EPSV/EPRT extensions remove the need for layer-7 IPs and work
> with NAT44 and NAT66 nicely where the firewall supports them.

Scanned RFC2428 for this. The EPRT command needs an address mapping helper
because it communicates the lower address within the high level application
proto. Opening a new connection from server to client will be blocked by most
stateful FWs anyhow. I woud say: old & bad design now compatible with a new
protocol. Nothing to worry about - anybody will use EPSV <grin>

[snap]

> > space
> > reasons. Only 1.75 Mb Flash and 8 Mb RAM.
>
> Are there really working IPv6-enabled 2.4 kernels in use?

Yes. The Broadcom router reference design was adopted by a dozen
manufacturers. Besides space limitations, there is a binary-only WLAN driver
module that forces the use of Linux-2.4. Embedded devices need some years to
die and (with the help of the opensourced "OpenWrt") I woud say that there are
10^7 devices around. IPv6 stack is basically working with the drawback that
some things are un-implemented (e.g. IP6IP6 tunnel is a no-no)

[snup]

> NAT66 is designed to work stateless AFAICT. As such the mapping likely
> does not need conntrack at all.
>
> Is there perhapse some way to only configure the map once but have it
> apply to both src and dst depending on the packet direction?
>
> Why is /128 not allowed? that would be extremely useful for roaming
> devices internal firewalls and high-security setups with multi-homing.
>
> AYJ

As Jan pointed out: copy of the addresses may be stored elsewhere in the form
of hash keys. At least, I will place a warning in the docs and check for
oopses if conntrack is active. You think about a single rule either in
POSTROUTING or PREROUTING. May overcome above conntrack hash prob... Good
point - I place it on the TODO.

/128? No. To keep checksum neutrality you need to balance the address change
with some other bits in the header. Which requires a network range on the
resulting addresses by design. I would also recommend mobile IPv6 for roaming
and such.

While I mentioned "TODO": I plan to add a "---salt" option for the mapping.
Why? Because IPv6 privacy extensions (aka use_tempaddr) hide the EUI48/64 to
the outside. This may not be appliable in some environments. Adding a MAP66
fromIPv6 -> sameIPv6 XOR salt pattern on the border router may be of help
here. At least if you change --salt over time.

// Sven-Ola