Re: high latency with ipset-4.2 and 2.6.27.45 kernel.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You do not measure ipset definitely. Because there is no target in the
>>> rules, all of them are evaluated one after another, regardless of the
>>> previous ones: netfilter just increases the packet/byte counters of the
>>> matching rules, but continues by processing the next rule(s).
>>
>>No, we are measuring only ipset. What we are suspecting is, as number
>>of ipset matches increases in packet path latency is increasing.
>>
>>1000 msecs is just by adding 1 more rule. 3 rules took it to around
>>3000 to 4000 msecs.
>
> No question that reevaluating the same thing over and over
> increases runtime...

Well, that is not the case. With 2.6.18.8 latency is same as 6 msecs.
i.e. it is not increasing with number of ipset rules. Also, if our
traffic load is around 1 to 1.4 Gbps, even in 2.6.27.45 we are not
experiencing the latency with increasing the number of rules.

Rgds,
Nishit Shah.