Re: high latency with ipset-4.2 and 2.6.27.45 kernel.

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010, krunal patel wrote:

>     I found a difference in performance of ipset 4.2 with with
> linux-2.6.18.8  and linux-2.6.27.45.
>     With 1.5 Gbps of traffic and with 3 ipset rules added in forward
> path, I got response time of 6 msecs in both kernels.
>     If i increase number of ipset rules, response time increases badly
> in case of 2.6.27.45 kernel, where it is same (6 msecs) in 2.6.18.8
> kernel.

I'm sorry but I simply don't get what you want to measure:

>     I am testing my machine with Spirent (load generator). Only HTTP
> protocol load is passed through machine.
>     following are the steps.
>
>        iptables -F PREROUTING -t raw
>        iptables -F PREROUTING -t mangle
>        iptables -F PREROUTING -t nat
>        iptables -F FORWARD -t mangle
>        iptables -F FORWARD -t filter
>        iptables -F POSTROUTING -t mangle
>        iptables -F POSTROUTING -t nat
>
>        ipset -N testip iphash --hashsize 1
>        ipset -A testip 1.2.3.4 (=> This can be any IP. Here it is not
> used for any purpose other then performance testing)

So I assume the source IP address of the packets won't match the
testip set.

>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set ! --set testip src
>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set ! --set testip src
>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set --set testip src

You do not measure ipset definitely. Because there is no target in the
rules, all of them are evaluated one after another, regardless of the
previous ones: netfilter just increases the packet/byte counters of the
matching rules, but continues by processing the next rule(s).

>     Up to here everything is fine in linux-2.6.18.8 and
> linux-2.6.27.45. - HTTP response time is 6ms.
>
>     After that I added 2 3 more chains.
>
>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set ! --set testip src
>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set ! --set testip src
>        iptables -A FORWARD -m set ! --set testip src
>
>     Now HTTP response time for linux-2.6.18.8 is constant to 6msecs
> whereas it increases to 1000ms in linux-2.6.27.45 and even increases
> more if I keep on adding same rule.

You mean, by adding three more non-matching rules the response time
increased from 6msecs to 1000msecs??

Best regards,
Jozsef
-