Re: Whither xt_SYSRQ?

On 11/05/10 18:06, Patrick McHardy wrote:
John Haxby wrote:
The standalone module is troublesome.  If I was starting from scratch
with that I'd be putting in filters and whatnot that match those
provides by xtables anyway.  If everything apart from the actual
function (sysrq) and password control is duplicated by xtables then
you'd have to ask "why isn't this part of xtables?".
The main point for putting it in a stand-alone module is that it
is providing a network service. You could still use netfilter to
filter packets of course. I don't see where the big trouble is,
instead of using netfilter for receiving packets, you open up
a socket. That's basically it.

/me slaps forehead

Sometimes the obvious just fails to make it through. Yes, that makes a good deal of sense, I'll see how it pans out. I'm currently wondering what happens when a machine is locked up whether or not I can get the service scheduled (one way or another) -- the netfilter stuff seems to be pretty robust in the face of machines locking up quite hard.

Lets see what other netfilter developers think, I'm easy to convince:)
One thing I'd like to see in any case however is review of the crypto
parts by the crypto people.

I'd like to see that as well. I _think_ I've got the crypto stuff right but I do know that self-review for anything security related is basically worthless. (As Bruce Schneier said, paraphrased slightly: any fool can produce a security solution that they can't crack.)

jch