Re: ebtables extension 'http'

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Pascal Hambourg
<pascal.mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Felipe W Damasio a écrit :
>>
>> 2010/1/25 Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> The issue is that you would need to replay the tcp handshake.
>>>
>>> Case 1:
>>> - do TCP handshake
>>> - read out Host: header
>>> - if proxied
>>>  - good
>>> - if not,
>>>  - have to replay TCP handshake to next host (eww :-)
>>
>>   Would this be so bad? :-)
>
> Yes, quite, because it must be transparent to the client. However the
> new server may have a lower MSS and not support some TCP options such as
> windows scaling, ECN, selective ACK, window scaling, timestamps... that
> the previous one supported and which are transmitted only during the
> handshake, so the client would not know about.

how about learning this info from the next hop by sending a SYN packet
with all options set and the largest MSS. It sounds like TCP splicing
and SYN proxy. And I heard some one had implemented SYN proxy in
Linux, and xBSD also support SYN proxy. Is there any chance to
integrate SYN proxy and TCP splicing into Linux?

> Not to mention that of
> course it will use a different initial sequence number and it would have
> to be translated by the bridge in each packet.

NAT also need to take care of this, so we can reuse the code already
in the kernel maybe.

--
Regards,
Changli Gao(xiaosuo@xxxxxxxxx)