RE: [PROPOSAL]: Alias names for network interfaces

I am aware of many data center scenarios where lot of systems(large
numbers) are already pre-wired where Integrated Port 1 is connected to
public network and Integrated Port 2 is connected to private network.
With the existing OS image, Integrated Port 1 is eth0 and Integrated
Port 2 is eth1. So everything is working as expected. Now there is a
need to upgrade to a new OS image and with this image Integrated Port 1
gets named eth1
and Integrated Port 2 gets eth0. Scripts (for example firewall) are
written for a scenario of Integrated Port 1 (eth0) is public
network and Integrated Port 2 (eth1) as private network.

Also, in case of large scale image based deployment scenarios embedding
HWADDR in config files or udev rules is not an option. Though HWADDR
helps in
ensuring persistency in naming, it doesn't help in achieving expected
naming.

I might be missing something, but I think this is the real issue. So by
referring to interfaces by their BIOS given name Embedded_NIC_1 will
always refer to the right interface irrespective of whether it is eth0
or eth1. I think which of the tools need to be modified and which need
to be left out of this can be debated.

With regards,
Narendra K