Re: [PROPOSAL]: Alias names for network interfaces

Hello,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:17:16PM +0530, Narendra_K@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> The implementation is for char device node solution we proposed earlier.
> It would be extended to handle the current proposal if it is acceptable.

For the record: I still dont like the idea to add another namespace (besides
interface index number and kernel names (possibly renamed)) to network
devices (especially in usermode), however if nobody else objects I will keep
quiet and accept the patches.

One thing for the library: the smbname of the devices can be the default
alias, but please allow usermode to configure patterns (based on driver,
mac) or maps for using even better interface names. The quality of system
management informations, especially when mixing hardware, tends to be less
than optimal.

Gruss
Bernd
--