Re: [PROPOSAL]: Alias names for network interfaces

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:22:32 +0000
John Haxby <john.haxby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 13/01/10 11:04, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:17:16PM +0530, Narendra_K@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> The implementation is for char device node solution we proposed earlier.
> >> It would be extended to handle the current proposal if it is acceptable.
> >>
> > For the record: I still dont like the idea to add another namespace (besides
> > interface index number and kernel names (possibly renamed)) to network
> > devices (especially in usermode), however if nobody else objects I will keep
> > quiet and accept the patches.
> >

> I am less than enthusiastic about the idea as well.  I've come across
> numerous userspace scripts and whatnot that have enough trouble with the
> default route not being through "eth0" let alone anything more
> complex.   Aliases are going to cause a lot of problems for a lot of
> people for little actual gain.

I am worried about the user space change version as well.
Especially since many of the network tools (snmp, quagga, ...) have
to be cross-platform and this is not likely to get a warm reception from
BSD and Solaris users.