Re: Add seperated timeout for the connections that only receive packets in one direction

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Changli Gao wrote:

> Think about this topologic:
>
> Attacker -> router1 -> router2 -> ... -> Linux Router -> Apache.
>
> the packets in the other direction won't be sent to the Linux Router,
> as the other routers will routed them to the other place.

Sorry, I don't get it.

If the attacker forges the source IP of the packet so that Apache thinks
it's a local machine from its own point of view and answers it on the LAN,
then that's the fault of the Linux Router operator: ingress and egress
filtering is a must, period.

If the attacker forges the source IP of the packet otherwise so that
Apache thinks it's a non local machine, then Apache will send the answer
via the Linux Router regardless of the routing table of any router out
there.

> Case 2:
>
> Attacker ---+
>                 +-- Linux Router --> WAN
> Victim-------+
>
> If we do sth. like RPF before entering conntrack, the packets in the
> other direction won't be in.

Here again I don't understand it completely: if there's an attacker on the
LAN, then the point is not to mitigate the load for the Linux Router but
first to find the attacker and then to prevent source IP forging.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxx