Re: initial (im)port of ipt_ACCOUNT, ipt_pknock and ipt_stealth to xtables-addons-1.17

Hello Thomas,

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Thomas Jarosch wrote:

Hello Jan Rafaj,

On Thursday, 27. August 2009 17:53:33 Jan Rafaj wrote:
- files have all been renamed from {lib,}ipt_* to {lib,}xt_*
   (I know, they are still IPv4-only projects, but thats the policy
   of Xt-a)

Thanks for your effort.

NP.

ipt_ACCOUNT is IPv4 only. Giving it a name of xt_ACCOUNT
will give the impression it works for IPv6, right?

Well, yes and no - as you can see, some other target/match modules in xtables-addons are IPv4-only too, yet all of them have name {lib,}xt_* .
The apparent aim is to have them all internally prepared for adding IPv6
later, though. Feel free to ask Jan Engelhardt, who does good job in maintaining Xt-a.

By releasing this, I only strongly (and selfishly, I admit) hope the
authors of these projects will eventually see advantages of being part of
xtables-addons, and will hopefully start to maintain these projects in
xtables-addons tree from now on.

Well, I don't use xtables-addons myself :o)

ipt_ACCOUNT is maintained in it's own git tree here:
http://www.intra2net.com/en/developer/ipt_ACCOUNT/repository.php

As development is currently in maintenance mode only,
it shouldn't hurt to have a copy in Xtables-addons, too.

That alone would already be great I think, thanks.

Though I'm not sure if having two versions with different names
(xt_ACCOUNT, ipt_ACCOUNT) is a good idea.

I hope having it in Xt-a primarily would be for the benefit of most other people who dont like to patch their kernel with varying success using pom-ng, like me. My intention was (and is) to have every useful third-party extension in just 1 place. I was always unhappy with pom-ng, as it never gave me the level of confidentiality that it would work with whatever newer kernel I'd decide to use (besides - from developer's PoV - the need to hack in support for whatever kernel I pick up, myself, becouse the original author didnt care, using a ton of those ugly #if's to interface with particular kernel API). In Xtables-addons, all appears to be maintained uniformly and towards the latest netfilter API, so I can be sure that anything thats part of it I'd want to use, will just work for me (plus eventual added benefit of *someone else* porting my favourite extension in it forward in the future... :).
But I also understand your eventual concerns - you may want not to
allow diverting the development line somewhere where you do not prefer to.

If you prefer to maintain ACCOUNT in a separate tree, well of course I
can't object. But first please try to realise the benefits of Xt-a model
over pom-ng, and what this can mean for other people (I hardly see anyone using pom-ng these days). Perhaps you could try to maintain it in a standalone branch of Xt-a git tree? (Please do not under any circumstance take this as that I'm forcing you to do something; God save, I'm far from that. I just wish if you could give it a try to *start* maintaining it in the framework used for majority of other projects, even if you
though do not find Xt-a useful right now...).

All in all, I did this port with the hope many people will find this effort towards unifying base of all third-party extensions useful. At least I do. And also becouse I want to use ACCOUNT, but I'm not simply willing to patch my kernel (and hand fix what didnt apply) using pom-ng just becouse 1 or 2 extra extensions do require it, becouse
that has always been a nightmare for me.

Best regards,

Jan