Re: conntrack and RSTs received during CLOSE_WAIT

[Cc-ing netfilter-devel]

On Wed, 20 May 2009, Robert L Mathews wrote:

> > It seems that all an attacker needs to do is send invalid RST packets
> > with a sequence number one less than the last ACK received from the
> > server. Then conntrack will forget about the connection, allowing the
> > attacker to open as many connections as desired, regardless of
> > connlimit limits.
> >
> > I wrote a little perl script that I can leave running in the
> > background on the client to send the necessary RST packets. In my
> > testing, it does allow me to bypass connlimit restrictions on a
> > server:
> >
> >  http://www.tigertech.net/patches/rawip.pl
> >
> > This seems to make connlimit less useful than I'd previously believed.
> > Am I just misunderstanding something?
>
> > No, you are correct.
>
> Hmmm, okay. I must say I'm a little surprised by that. I've seen plenty
> of people using connlimit and connbytes (for example) to protect against
> all kinds of things, and I don't think it's widely known that it's
> trivial for an attacker to bypass those restrictions.

I think because it is *not* widely known. The credit is yours for
discovering how to bypass connlimit/connbytes.

> > If you want to eliminate the possibility to bypass connlimit with
> > properly crafted RST segments, probably you should use the recent
> > match and count the created NEW connections.
>
> My goal with connlimit is to limit simultaneous connections so that it
> prevents a single client from using up all the Apache process slots.
>
> However, I don't want to limit how many connections they can open in a
> period of time.
>
> For example, it's perfectly fine for someone to open, say, 500
> connections per minute, as long as they don't open more than 40 at a
> time. But I do need to block the 41st simultaneous connection even from
> people who open up connections very slowly, such as someone who opens up
> just five connections per hour and never closes them.
>
> Is that something the "recent" feature can help with? I'm not seeing how
> that's possible, but perhaps I'm missing something.

No, that's not possible with "recent".

Because connlimit/connbytes rely on conntrack, the latter should be
"fixed". However I do not see any way to make it resistant against such
attacks: if we shrink the window (by which alogrithm?) we may block valid
RST segments and thus cause connections to hang instead of termination.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxx