Re: user-space xtables ABI [was Re: [Fwd: Re: iptables pull request]]

On Sunday 2009-05-17 18:59, jamal wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 18:39 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
>> Compatibility is the ultimate killer argument against about anything.
>
>Once you have user of an API, that arguement becomes hard to defend.
>It is certainly a lesson learnt on the development of the
>internet: You cant just replace IPV4, TCP, NAT and a lot of other
>protocols and practises that people are using. You can incrementally
>"fix them". You can the parallel provide the new way (IPv6).

The hurdle with IPv6 is just like patches that would add a copy of a
function with a slightly different signature or semantics: it would
be met with reluctance. I already given up on submission of
Xtables-addons modules to upstream for the same reason because there
are so much "no no"s coming back. I don't get it.