Re: Automatically load modules in iptables-save

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 02:55:54PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>I decided to try to load the modules instead of just silently returning,
> IMHO, it should not fail, not even silently, but return success.
[..]
> If x_tables.ko is not loaded, there cannot be any tables active
> anyway, and thus would be equal to a loaded x_tables.ko with
> no table modules (iptable_filter, etc.) loaded.
>
> >so that if iptables-save succeeds, you can reasonably expect
> >iptables-restore to work as well.
>
> `echo '' | iptables-restore` does work.

Hrm. You appear to be right. I somehow thought that iptables-restore
would unconditionally try to load x_tables.ko.

> One more reason to make iptables-save not outputting anything
> returning 0.

That makes sense.

How about the case where someone calls "iptables-save -t foo"? Should
that just return an empty string and exit(0), should it attempt module
load to see if that's even a valid table or something entirely
different?

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead Virtualisation Engineer | Ubuntu Server Team