Re: Automatically load modules in iptables-save

On Thursday 2009-03-19 14:50, Soren Hansen wrote:

>Right. I thought about just silently bailing out, but decided to go this
>route instead. Explanation follows.
>
>$ sudo iptables-save
>iptables-save v1.4.1.1: Unable to open /proc/net/ip_tables_names: No such file or directory
>$ echo $?
>1
>
>I decided to try to load the modules instead of just silently returning,

IMHO, it should not fail, not even silently, but return success.
If x_tables.ko is not loaded, there cannot be any tables active
anyway, and thus would be equal to a loaded x_tables.ko with
no table modules (iptable_filter, etc.) loaded.

>so that if iptables-save succeeds, you can reasonably expect
>iptables-restore to work as well.

`echo '' | iptables-restore` does work. One more reason to
make iptables-save not outputting anything returning 0.