Re: nf_conntrack.acct has no effect

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2009-03-17 14:11, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Holger Eitzenberger wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:56:52PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:

Currently the default is set based on the old config option.
When unset, no acct-extend is allocated for *new* conntracks.
The old ones that do have an acct-extend are still displayed.

I think the current implementation is unfortunate, because the
connbytes match auto-selects CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT, and you end up having
the message always and can't get rid of it other than patching
it out.

This is not exactly true. CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT only selects the default value, you
are still able to disable it with sysctl.

The implication is that xt_connbytes will not do the right thing
anymore as soon as user accounting is turned off, either by flipping
the sysctl value or deactivating the kconfig option. That is not
good.

The sysctl is not going to be removed and you can still set the initial value with the proper kernel/module option. I fail to see the problem here.

Best regards,

				Krzysztof Olędzki