Re: nf_conntrack.acct has no effect

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Patrick McHardy wrote:

Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Patrick McHardy wrote:

Holger Eitzenberger wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 05:56:52PM +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:

Currently the default is set based on the old config option.
When unset, no acct-extend is allocated for *new* conntracks.
The old ones that do have an acct-extend are still displayed.

I think the current implementation is unfortunate, because the
connbytes match auto-selects CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT, and you end up having
the message always and can't get rid of it other than patching
it out.

Its only a compat option, it will get removed soon. 2.6.30 or 2.6.31
I'd say.

I have the patch ready. Do you think it is a good moment to push it now, so it will be included in 2.6.30, or should I rather wait for 2.6.31?

I'd say it has been long enough, but Jan raised a valid point.
We can't use the Kconfig selection anymore once we remove that
option, so we need a replacement to automatically enable counters.

So loading connbytes should enable accounting automatically. Fine, it is doable. But how we want to handle it WRT to NS? Should it be enabled in all NameSpaces or...?

Best regards,

				Krzysztof Olędzki