Re: Passive OS fingerprint xtables match.

Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
Hi.

Passive OS fingerprinting netfilter module allows to passively detect
remote OS and perform various netfilter actions based on that knowledge.
This module compares some data (WS, MSS, options and it's order, ttl, df
and others) from packets with SYN bit set with dynamically loaded OS
fingerprints.

Fingerprint matching rules can be downloaded from OpenBSD source tree
and loaded via netlink connector into the kernel via special util found
in archive. It will also listen for events about matching packets.

Archive also contains library file (also attached), which was shipped
with iptables extensions some time ago (at least when ipt_osf existed
in patch-o-matic).

This release moves all rules initialization to be handled over the
netlink and introduces lookup tables to speed-up RCU finger matching
a bit. Also fixed module unloading RCU completion race noticed by
Paul McKenney.

Sorry for ignoring this for so long. I really don't have much of an
opinion on this except for what I said before:

- I would prefer a mechanism built on u32 if possible

- I want to hear at least one person speaking in favour of inclusion
  since I don't have much of an opinion of my own, but am somewhat
  doubtful how useful this is

I guess you could call Paul's "cool stuff" that, but please resend
once more to netfilter-devel :) Anyone who thinks this is useful
please speak up.