Re: Patch for geoip match agains kernel 2.6.28

On Friday 2009-01-23 10:51, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Friday 2009-01-23 03:22, NICOLAS BOULIANE wrote:
>>> Thanks for this patch. I'll update my patchlet repository as soon as I get home.
>>>
>>> peace,
>>> acidfu.
>>
>> People still use POM patchlets? Gosh...
>
>I'm planning to give a spin to POM to keep some (minor number of)
>patches in it. For example, AFAIK xtables-addons cannot contain patches
>like ACCOUNT, since they require changes in the main kernel.

That is true. But the few extensions that I know of that patch kernel
files (ACCOUNT, layer7, ..) are not POM archives, but true
unified-diff style patches, making it a lot easier to patch them in
because most SCM or near-SCM tools (like quilt and stgit) support
unidiffs.

>My opinion on pom-ng and xtables-addons is still the same. I think that
>they don't have a reason with the current kernel development cycle.

Sort of they do (both). Almost like linux-staging, perhaps. I really
don't know what to make of extensions being ... not really rejected,
but not accepted either ... that have their place in a daily life
IMHO.

>And, of course, if Nicolas wants to keep its patchset in pom-ng updated,
>I would be OK with it.

Sure. But it would be beneficial for the end-user to receive
the optimizations made since too.