how to update payload using QUEUE

I am trying to use netfilter QUEUE to process IP payload in
user-space. So far I have successfully retrived the packet (payload),
done with my processing but I don't know how to put it back (modified
payload) back to original outbound packet.

this is what I have tried:

--------------
len  = nfq_get_payload(tb, &payload);
if (len >= 0 ) {
    new_len = process_payload(payload, *newPayload, len);

   //trying memcpy
   memcpy(payload, newPayload, len);
   pkt->ip->check = 0;
   free(newPayload);

}

return nfq_set_verdict(qh, id, NF_ACCEPT, 0, NULL);

I tried using memcpy() to copy new payload data to existing, but I
think that is being done on user space only. or do  I need to call
some nfa_set.. function ?
I will be glad if someone could point me to right direction.

Thank you,

Bikrant