Re: [Fwd: Re: Shortcuts to counting rules?]

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Wednesday 2008-11-05 19:25, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2008-10-31 19:54, Rick Jones wrote:

iptables-save | grep ^- | wc -l

Here is where I cop to being a luddite who prefers straight C to calling
system() :)

But there is no C library. And libiptc is so strongly internal that
it does not fall under libraries-to-use.

I don't see why not to use libiptc.  Its been one of the most stable /
less-changed through the years...

I'm using libiptc quite extensivly in IPTables::libiptc Perl CPAN module.

Hm yeah. The API might be ok, but the source is ugly. Hence
the recent slew of patches. I'm still thinking how to pull
this off so that it gets even less ugly, less big (it is
essentially compiled twice), and then make it available
as a standard library.

I would really like if we could make it available as a standard library, preferably a dynamic .so lib. Just like you have recently done with libxtables.so.

That would make it easier to make libraries like my IPTables::libiptc Perl CPAN module.

Hilsen
  Jesper Brouer