Re: been a while...what happened to NFC_ALTERED?

On Thursday 2008-09-25 18:38, Dave Horton wrote:

> Here's my situation: I wrote a simple netfilter target a couple of
> years back, been running it on Redhat 3, 2.4 kernel successfully
> for quite a while.  I install it on the PREROUTING chain, and I
> mangle UDP packets; modifiying the source and destination
> addresses.

Modifying it in which way? Maybe what you are trying to achieve is
already solved by other modules.

> My code was then setting the NFC_ALTERED bit in the
> nf_cache of the sk_buff so that it would get re-processed by
> netfilter. Everything fine.  Now I simply want to update my code to
> run on Centos 5, kernel 2.6.18 and iptables 1.4.  Whoa, now I find
> my kernel module doesn't compile because that data structure has
> changed.  If I remove that line of code, it compiles, but the
> packet forwarding does not work (and it seems like I stop getting
> packets routed to my target at all once I mangle the first one).
>
> Can someone help me out?  What is the new improved way of
> indicating that I've changed a packet's header or body so that
> netfilter re-examines it?

The funny thing is, even in Linux 2.5.0, only the IPv6 code ever
examines for NFC_ALTERED. It's like the thing was never used.
See http://jengelh.medozas.de/documents/Netfilter_Modules.pdf
if you need any assistance for moving your extension forward
in time (though 2.6.18 is now so old again...)