Re: high number of rule changes per second (was Re: Netfilter development project)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

Andy Loukes wrote:
I should clarify the problem we have a little more. I realised we shouldn't
be to be too hasty in throwing away our current system, which is currently
perl (not ideal but it does work and isn't a bottleneck) handling the
network connection which then just calls iptables to add and remove rules.

I have written a iptables system in Perl that scales to 5000 customers, and I can perform 77965 rule changes in 2.28 sec.

I have published my low-level iptables-to-perl library on CPAN called IPTables::libiptc.

 http://search.cpan.org/~hawk/IPTables-libiptc-0.11/

I have some extra modules that I have not published yet... but you can get them offlist if you like...

The problem we have is two-fold. First the application that is controlling
the firewall is load balanced, so often the daemon gets two concurrent
requests and it appears that only one iptables command can be executed at
once so one fails. We can fix that with locking but it would be interesting
to understand what is happening. Is this a kernel thing?

This is because iptables work by copying the entire ruleset to userspace and commiting it back... thus, there is a race-condition if two userspace iptables calls are performed at the same time.

Secondly it can take up to 0.5s to execute an iptables (1.3.8) add and this
is causing a bottleneck and making the first problem more significant.

Use iptables-restore instead with -n. You can pipe iptables commands to
it. And upgrade to iptables >= 1.4, there was a major rewrite to resolve
scalability problems in iptables-restore.

Yep! -- my changes and experiences has gone into mainline ;-)

Hilsen
  Jesper Brouer