Re: Conntrack Events Performance - Multipart Messages?

Patrick McHardy wrote:
Fabian Hugelshofer wrote:
Patrick McHardy wrote:
The first thing to try would be to use sane allocation sizes
for the event messages. This patch doesn't implement it properly
(uses probing), but should be enough to test whether it helps.

Thanks a lot. This patch already decreased the CPU usage for ctevtest from 85% to 44%. Sweet...

Nice. Now we just need to do it properly :)

What do you mean with properly? Put some kind of cap? Or eliminate the guessing by allocating a reasonable small fixed amount?

nf_conntrack_event is now one of the first functions listed. Do you see other ways of improving performance?

For some members doing in-place message construction instead of
copying the data might help, but I couldn only spot few only
used rarely.

The module reference stuff (module_put/nf_ct_*_find_get etc)
is clearly superfluous, this runs in packet processing context
and shouldn't use module references but RCU.

This goes too deep, that I could help you on this.