Conntrack Events Performance - Multipart Messages?

Hi,

I am writing a network application for a genuine wireless router (266Mhz IXP4XX). I am capturing packets with ULOG and need connection tracking. For performance reasons I planned to use connection tracking events (NEW/DESTROY) to avoid doing the same work twice.

In a high load test case I stress the router with UDP packets with random source ports (1000B payload, 1800pps). CPU usage is 100%, 10% of packets and 80% ctevents are dropped. If I disable ctevents, the CPU usage is just 24% and no packet drops occur.

My application is not very heavy and I expect most of the ctevent overhead to be caused by passing events from kernel to user space. I expect that performance could be increased by using multipart messages for ctevents like it is done in ULOG/NFLOG.

Do you share my opinion, that multipart messages would lead to significant performance improvements? (Actually, I doubt that I will be more efficient than performing connection tracking in user space)

Do you think introducing multipart messages for connection tracking events is feasible without breaking existing applications? Maybe with a default setting of 1 bundled events, which can be increased by a function call?

Is someone intending to implement multipart messages for ctevents? ;-)

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Fabian