Re: Plans for future iptables versions / jumpset feature

Thomas Jacob wrote:
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:18:25PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:
Not implemented yet, but I'm probably going to add this as an option
(since it may affect the choice of data structure). For jumps its
tricky though because loop detection has to be performed.

I don't see why this always has to be performed. There so many ways
to break your system when you're root, so being required to define a loop
free rule sets after specifying some kind of "yes I really want to"-
option should be that much of a burden. As far as I understand
the code, the loop checking at the moment is done in userspace, so
nobody stops you from simply removing that part from the iptables
code.

No, its done in the kernel. I also don't buy this argument.
Sure, you can wreck your system if you really want to, but
it should be prevented to do so accidentally. Additionally,
if you consider setups with limited root powers, this becomes
a serious bug.