Re: iptables performance and alternatives

Hello,

Nf hipac is an alternative: http://www.hipac.org/

> For example on the transit gateway I have ~500 rules which
> mark the packet, according to the client source IP - with
> unique mark per client IP - so I have 500 unique marks
> there, and so cannot use IPSET, and only IPTABLES - but
> it's known that iptables insert/lookup is very slow on huge
> rulesets (atleat with iptables 1.3.x) and slowness
> progresses approximatelly exponentially on growth of rules
> number.
>
> Do I miss anything?

If you plan to use mark for QOS or routing why not simply use native
classifier of tc or "ip rule" ?

One other thing to look at may be :
http://www.netfilter.org/projects/patch-o-matic/pom-external.html#pom-external-IPMARK

BR,