Re: Netfilter hooks on SMP?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:00:28 +0100 (CET), Jan Engelhardt
<jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But if the processing of packets takes most of the time, then you
> should not worry about balancing NIC IRQs, but enqueueing the
> packets onto the right softirq thread.
>
>> I don't really know how IRQs are handled on SMP (nor I know
>> how irq-balance works)
>
> IRQs are enabled for one CPU only in the general case, and
> balancing it should be straightforward.
> I have no idea what happens if the affinity mask allows an IRQ
> for more than one CPU, but you should not worry about that, because
>
>   (a) you probably do not want a deliver-to-a-random-CPU behavior nor
>   (b) deliver-to-all
>
> (since I doubt the hardware does (c) round-robin automatically)

I'm not sure that hardware does not automatically balance IRQs
(/proc/interrupts/#/smp_affinity is a bitfield used to balance IRQs, and I
suppose the APIC does the balancing).

Also, I found this thread on this maling list :
http://marc.info/?t=119094666500002&r=1&w=4

I'll take a look at this patch, it looks really interesting.

regards,
strawks