Re: [ULOGD 05/15] Add signalling subsystem

Holger Eitzenberger wrote:
Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

This patch adds the concept of synchronous and asynchronous signal
handlers to ulogd, where 'synchronous' just means to be synchronous to
the underlying IO multiplexer.

I just committed a patch that reworks the timer framework to make it
synchronous with select(). Since we don't have asynchronous timers
anymore, I think that we can just block signaling during file
descriptors handling since ulogd would receive not often. AFAICS, this
infrastructure is nice but it was mainly targeted to the annoying SIGALRM.

Hi Pablo,

comparing your patch with the one I provided in my last patch collection I can say that your patch is quite larger due to the usage of the red-black trees in the timer code. The number of timers in ulogd is depending of your configuration of course, but with my current configuration (NFLOG, NFCT, SQLITE3) I have currently three timers, wow.

Note that with your patch you basically remove the possibility for plugins to have timers which are asynchronous. It's therefore less flexible for future users.

Also note that libraries such as libevent do it quite similar than provided in my patch.

My patch has the intention of providing a flexible infrastructure for plugins, which room for future improvements (such as red-black trees if there are hundreds of timers). Some of my later patches I have enqueued locally base on those changes, but that's my problem.

You commented on some of those patches, with a quite positive statement to my initial post of this patch. Also, Eric gave a GO on all patches despite the last NFCT patch, which I promised to rework for compatibility reason and based on your suggestions.

I accept the fact that you apparently like red-black trees and they definitely have their use-cases, but looking at typical ulogd configurations and numbers of timers in ulogd I can say that red-black trees just for timer usage seem to me like overkill.

Since you are in the habit of favoring your own patches against the ones I provide, even without giving a chance to modify my patch, I simply consider doing a fork of ulogd. Otherwise I'll loose many of the work I've enqueued locally.

Patrick?

I'm not sure I understand the problem fully, looking at both patches
it seems to me that Pablo's patch could be extended to provide similar
functionality to yours without much effort.

I agree that simply committing replacement patches without discussion
when its known that further work depends on a patch is not a nice way
of working together. I did not see any discussion related to this
patch except the minor complaint about polling once per second in
the first posting. Could someone explain the problem here please?

-