Re: [ULOGD RFC 03/30] Replace timer code by working version

Holger Eitzenberger wrote:
Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

The inititial timer code was incomplete and IMO too complicated for what
it did.  AFAIRK at the time I started hacking on that there wasn't even
a single user of that API.
This patch turns the timers into simple and more importantly working
timers which with 1-sec resolution.  They might easily be adjusted or
improved later on.

Agreed, from what I remeber about ulogd2 and our discussions there
doesn't seem to be any need for higher precision. I'll look into
the details later.

Yes, there currently is no need for higher-precision timers in ulogd.
Looking at the code I think that Haralds intention was to have those
timers because IPFIX supports (at least principially) higher-precision
timerstamps.  IMO ideally there should be added a config switch for
that.

My next round of patches will clean up the existing code base further,
with focus on the ulogd core.

Thanks! I'll wait whether Pablo has further objections, but so far I
don't see any show-stoppers that wouldn't be worth the improvements.

-