Re: Bug with Fedora's 2.6.23.9-85 kernel (at least) and ESTABLISHED and SACK

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Zan Lynx wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:38 +0100, Krzysztof Oledzki wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Zan Lynx wrote:

Please CC me on any replies as I am not subscribed.

I was downloading a new Google Earth when I noticed a LOT of max-size dropped
packets in my firewall log.  I only allow RELATED,ESTABLISHED sessions into
my firewall.

tcpdump showed that every time Google sent a packet to satisfy the missing
data identified by SACK, that packet was rejected.  So it must have been
missing the ESTABLISHED rule.

I fixed the problem by adding an ALLOW source port 80 rule for the Google
download site IP.

This makes me wonder how often this has happened and I haven't noticed it.
Is this a known bug or something new?

Which kernel version?

As in the Subject, Fedora's 2.6.23.9-85.

Right, sorry. I must have overlooked this.

Most likely there is a broken box along the path that mangles seq numbers
but forgets about sacks. Could you please provide a dump:
"tcpdump -v -S host (...)"?

I have not yet been able to reproduce it so I cannot provide a dump.

I doubt that the sequence numbers were being mangled.  I doubt this
because as soon as I added the rule to accept all port 80 packets from
the server IP, the TCP session accepted the packet with the missing data
and the hole described by the SACK options disappeared.  The session was
sourced from the machine itself via a Squid proxy.

It is because most tcp stacks (including the one available in Linux) are less restrictive than netfilter code and allow tcp packets with invalid sacks but valid acks by ignoring sack data.

Best regards,

			Krzysztof Olędzki