Re: [RFC] generic CONNTRACK target

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
Also, I'd like to discuss some kind of mechanisms to reduce the number
of event messages generated by ctnetlink such as introducing
IPCT_VOLATILE to explicitly tell ctnetlink ignore certain events via
iptables. I think that, ideally, an alternative can be some kind of
ctnetlink filtering based on unicast netlink socket (similar to
nfnetlink_queue) in which we attach a filter via CMD_SUBSCRIBE_EVENTS or
something. This solution let us define a per-socket filter in the style
of BSF. However, this means that we'll need a complete filtering
facility for ctnetlink to classify events, and iptables already provides
such classificator. This is intended to reduce the CPU consumption of
conntrackd (around 25% avg, 45% max, in my testbed [1] with 2500 HTTP
GET request per second) by only replicating TCP ESTABLISHED states.

Any ideas?

The part that supresses conntrack events seems useful, why not
simply split it in a seperate module? It would be even more useful
if we had a match to match on conntrack protocol states I guess.
-