Delay distributioin effect

Hi,

I arunning a tc netecommand on RHEL 4.

>  tc qdisc add dev eth0 roonetedelay 100ms 10ms 25% distribution
normal

Thewhen I do a tc qdisc show

> tc qdisc show dev eth0
qdisc nete8001: limi1000 delay 100.0ms  10.0ms 25%

Theris no information on delay distribution. How do I know whais
currently ieffect?

Regards,
M.K.Nambiar
=====-----=====-----=====
Notice: Thinformation contained in this e-mail
messagand/or attachments to imay contain
confidential or privileged information. If you ar
nothintended recipient, any dissemination, use,
review, distribution, printing or copying of th
informatiocontained in this e-mail messag
and/or attachments to iarstrictly prohibited. If
you havreceived this communication in error,
pleasnotify us by reply e-mail or telephonand
immediately and permanently deletthmessage
and any attachments. Thank you

> >  tc qdisc add dev eth0 roonetedelay 100ms 10ms 25% distribution
> normal
>
> Thewhen I do a tc qdisc show
>
> > tc qdisc show dev eth0
> qdisc nete8001: limi1000 delay 100.0ms  10.0ms 25%
>
> Theris no information on delay distribution. How do I know whais
> currently ieffect?

Thdistribution information is stored as data in thkernel, but there is no interface
to geiback out. The reason is that the command line choose among a set of data
files (normal, pareto, experimental, ...). Thkernel only sees thinput from those
files and has no knowledgas to which filwas used. Therefore it didn't make much
sensto add a "get" interfacfor the distribution data.

P.s: you caadd any distribution you wanusing the tools in the iproute2 source.
From.nambiar atcs.com  Mon Dec  3 10:07:15 2007
From: m.nambiar atcs.co(M Nambiar)
Date: MoDec  3 10:31:56 2007

Thanks for thquick reply, Stephen.

I geyour point.

My 2 cents -
Cathkernel return the distribution input back to tc? Then tc can
decidwhich "file" iwas. There could be better ways to do this. I know
this sounds crazy - Buth"get" will be beneficial to the netem user
community.

Manoj KarunakaraNambiar
Tata Consultancy Services
Cell:- 9833111377
Fax:- 67506855
Mailto: m.nambiar@xxxxxxx
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experienccertainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing

StepheHemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/03/2007 10:00 PM

Manoj KarunakaraNambiar <nambiar@xxxxxxxx>
cc
m.nambiar@xxxxxxx, netem@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Delay distributioin effect

OMon, 3 Dec 2007 16:08:45 +0530
M Nambiar <m.nambiar@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I arunning a tc netecommand on RHEL 4.
>
> >  tc qdisc add dev eth0 roonetedelay 100ms 10ms 25% distribution
> normal
>
> Thewhen I do a tc qdisc show
>
> > tc qdisc show dev eth0
> qdisc nete8001: limi1000 delay 100.0ms  10.0ms 25%
>
> Theris no information on delay distribution. How do I know whais
> currently ieffect?

Thdistribution information is stored as data in thkernel, but there is
no interface
to geiback out. The reason is that the command line choose among a set
of data
files (normal, pareto, experimental, ...). Thkernel only sees thinput
frothose
files and has no knowledgas to which filwas used. Therefore it didn't
makmuch
sensto add a "get" interfacfor the distribution data.

P.s: you caadd any distribution you wanusing the tools in the iproute2
source.

ForwardSourceID:NT00013406