NASA, EPA Extend Environmental And Earth Science Collaborations

April 26, 2010

Steve Cole
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0918
stephen.e.cole@xxxxxxxx

Environmental Protection Agency Press Office, Washington
202-564-6794
press@xxxxxxx

RELEASE: 10-098

NASA, EPA EXTEND ENVIRONMENTAL AND EARTH SCIENCE COLLABORATIONS

WASHINGTON -- NASA Administrator Charles Bolden and U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson signed a Memorandum
of Agreement on Monday to promote and continue collaboration between
the two agencies in environmental and Earth sciences and
applications.

The signing ceremony took place at the Howard University Middle School
of Mathematics and Science (MS)² in Washington. Following the
ceremony, both administrators met with students to discuss the
importance of science and engineering education.

"Our agencies have a remarkable opportunity to tackle a variety of
environmental issues together," said Administrator Bolden. "Involving
students in Earth science and climate research at an early age will
encourage a stronger sense of stewardship toward our home planet."

The agreement renews a broad partnership to promote joint efforts to
improve environmental and Earth science research, technology,
environmental management, and the application of Earth science data,
models and technology in environmental decision-making.

"Our health and the health of our environment depend on continuous
scientific exploration and innovation. EPA is proud to work with NASA
to engage and inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers
who will carry our work forward," said Jackson. "America's young
people are stepping up in this effort because they know what's at
stake now and in the future, and they see the opportunities for the
next great, game-changing discovery that will improve their lives and
the lives of others."

Both agencies have been involved in projects and activities for many
years. In 2005, the first Memorandum of Agreement was signed to
formalize the partnership. Areas of collaboration include climate
change, air quality, and water. The re-invigorated partnership
focuses on science leadership to motivate continued exploration,
innovation and protection of our home planet.

NASA's Earth Science program advances knowledge of the integrated
Earth system. NASA research encompasses the global atmosphere, the
global oceans including sea ice, land surfaces including snow and
ice, ecosystems, and interactions between the atmosphere, oceans,
land, and ecosystems, including humans.

NASA maintains the world's largest contingent of dedicated Earth
scientists and engineers in leading and assisting other agencies in
preserving the planet's environment. NASA operates 14 satellite
missions as well as aircraft and surface-based instruments to sustain
simultaneous observations to unravel the complexity of the integrated
Earth system. In addition, the agency supports advanced computing and
modeling capabilities and maintains the world's largest scientific
data and information system for collecting, processing, archiving,
and distributing Earth system data to worldwide users.

The EPA's mission is to protect human health and the environment. One
key component is the agency's Advanced Monitoring Initiative. The
initiative's goal is to improve our nation's understanding of how
environmental factors affect human health and ecological well being.
Projects within the initiative enable better understanding of how to
provide improved data to support and enhance environmental policy,
management, and decision making. The agency strives to develop new
data products, models and tools to assist decision makers and the
public in understanding today's complex environmental issues.

For more information on NASA's Earth research activities, visit

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/

For information on EPA's Earth Observations and Advanced Monitoring
Initiative, visit

http://www.epa.gov/geoss/

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx