Lightfoot Named Director of Nasa's Marshall Space Flight Center

August 24, 2009

Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1600
bob.jacobs@xxxxxxxx

June Malone
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-7061
june.e.malone@xxxxxxxx

RELEASE: 09-195

LIGHTFOOT NAMED DIRECTOR OF NASA'S MARSHALL SPACE FLIGHT CENTER

WASHINGTON -- NASA has named Robert M. Lightfoot, Jr., as the director
of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. Lightfoot
had served as the acting director of the center since March.

"I'm very pleased to appoint Robert as the Marshall Center Director.
As NASA moves into an exciting new era of human and scientific
exploration, Robert's skills and expertise will prove invaluable to
leading Marshall into the future," NASA Administrator Charles F.
Bolden said.

>From 2007 to 2009, Lightfoot was deputy director of Marshall and
shared responsibility for managing the center. Marshall has played a
critical role in advancing NASA's exploration mission, including
leading development of the Ares I rocket and the Ares V heavy cargo
launch vehicles and a lunar landing mission.

Lightfoot served as manager of the Space Shuttle Propulsion Office at
Marshall from 2005 to 2007. He was responsible for overseeing the
manufacture, assembly and operation of the primary shuttle propulsion
elements: the main engines, external tank, solid rocket boosters and
reusable solid rocket motors.

>From 2003 to 2005, Lightfoot served as assistant associate
administrator for the Space Shuttle Program in the Office of Space
Operations at NASA Headquarters in Washington. His responsibilities
included space shuttle return to flight activities, budget
formulation and integration of shuttle infrastructure into NASA's
initiative calling for new exploration of the moon, Mars and beyond.
Other responsibilities included providing technical advice and
recommendations on readiness and execution of the shuttle program,
with a budget oversight of more than $3 billion.

In 2002, Lightfoot was named director of the Propulsion Test
Directorate at NASA's Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Miss.
He served as deputy director of the organization beginning in 2001,
until his appointment as director.

In 1999, Lightfoot joined Stennis as chief of propulsion test
operations, managing space shuttle main engine testing and multiple
NASA, Department of Defense and industry rocket engine test programs.
In 1998, he was named deputy division chief of Marshall's propulsion
test division.

Lightfoot began his NASA career at Marshall in 1989 as a test engineer
and program manager for the space shuttle main engine technology
testbed program and the Russian RD-180 engine testing program for the
Atlas launch vehicle program.

A native of Montevallo, Ala., Lightfoot received a bachelor's degree
in mechanical engineering in 1986 from the University of Alabama. In
October 2007, he was named Distinguished Departmental Fellow for the
University of Alabama, Department of Mechanical Engineering and
selected as a University of Alabama College of Engineering fellow in
2009. Lightfoot serves on the University of Alabama Mechanical
Engineering Advisory Board.

Lightfoot has received numerous awards during his NASA career,
including a NASA Outstanding Leadership medal in 2007 for outstanding
and exemplary leadership of the Shuttle Propulsion Office and
assuring safety for the shuttle's return to flight. In 2006, he was
awarded the Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Executives -- the
highest honor attainable for federal government work.

For more information about Marshall, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall

For information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx