NASA and ATK Media Telecon after Ares I Solid Rocket Motor Test

August 24, 2009

Ashley Edwards/Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1756/0668
ashley.edwards-1@xxxxxxxx
grey.hautaluoma-1@xxxxxxxx

Jennifer Morcone
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
256-544-0034
jennifer.j.morcone@xxxxxxxx

MEDIA ADVISORY: M09-162

NASA AND ATK MEDIA TELECON AFTER ARES I SOLID ROCKET MOTOR TEST

PROMONTORY, Utah -- Representatives from NASA and Alliant Techsystems
(ATK) will hold a media teleconference Thursday, Aug. 27 at 3:30 p.m.
EDT. They will discuss the test of a new first-stage development
solid rocket motor for NASA's Ares I launch vehicle.

To participate in the telecon, reporters should e-mail Ashley Edwards
at ashley.edwards-1@xxxxxxxx for dial-in information. Reporters will
be asked to give their name and media affiliation before the start of
the moderated call.

The full-scale, full duration test is scheduled for the ATK test
facility in Promontory, Utah, at 3 p.m. EDT on Aug. 27. The test will
provide valuable thrust, roll-control, acoustics and vibration data
as engineers continue to design Ares I.

The first-stage solid rocket motor is managed and tested by the Ares
Projects Office at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville,
Ala. ATK Space Systems is the prime contractor for the Ares I first
stage. The Ares I rocket is designed to launch the Orion spacecraft
and the next generation of NASA astronauts.

For more information about Ares, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ares

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx