NASA's Chief of Strategic Communications Leaves for Private Sector

May 3, 2006

Dean Acosta
Headquarters, Washington
(202) 358-1400

RELEASE: 06-212

NASA'S CHIEF OF STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS LEAVES FOR PRIVATE SECTOR

NASA announced Wednesday that Joe Davis, chief of strategic
communications, is leaving the agency to take a position with a
private sector public affairs firm.

Davis served on the senior management team for NASA Administrator
Michael Griffin, overseeing the offices of legislative, public,
external affairs and education.

"Joe has been a trusted member of my management team since the day I
came back to NASA," Griffin said. "He has provided sound advice and
counsel regarding every facet of NASA's strategic posture. We are
sorry to see him leave, but he will always be welcome at NASA. Many
of us have come to know Joe as a colleague, but I also count him a
friend."

"After nearly 10 years in the public sector, I felt like this was the
right time for me to return to private life," Davis said. "We have
made significant progress this last year and I told Mike that, as I
leave NASA, I will remain committed to helping him achieve his goals
for the agency. Now, I will just be doing that from the private
sector."

"It has been a pleasure serving the President at the Department of
Energy and at NASA."

Prior to NASA, Davis served as principal deputy director of public
affairs at the U.S. Department of Energy and on the senior staff of
Secretary Spencer Abraham. In the Senate, he served on the leadership
staff of Senator Connie Mack and the personnel staff of then Senator
Spencer Abraham. For his NASA biography, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/about/highlights/davis_bio.html

For more information about NASA and agency programs, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

-end-

hqnews-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx