Re: how to "step backforward" ?

Mplayer already has a 10min and 10sec back and forth option, and the
frame forward option. How difficult is it to 'copy' the 10sec option and
make an extra divide by 250 if it's PAL or 30000/1001 if it's NTSC ?

I think the problem with doing that would be that you'd be decoding from the last keyframe for every frame you asked for, regardless of whether you'd recently passed through this frame en route to another. This would work, and certainly be better than nothing, especially for people like me who deal mainly in I-frame formats, but I can't help thinking there ought to be a better way.