Re: how to "step backforward" ?

(consider 720p, it costs 1.3MBytes for frame, 300 frames are huge bulk
of memory)

You don't have to store them all, especially if you implement a strategy to start decoding frames you don't have once you start stepping back near the beginning of the ones you do. And anyway, 300MB of RAM is not entirely unreasonable. I presume the amount it used would be configurable.

I wonder how Quicktime does it. Possibly it avoids the issue simply by not supporting very long GOPs.