Mencoder and -vobsub

I confess that my version of mplayer/mencoder is still rc2 packaged with
 Ubuntu.  I understand that this is old and not supported.

Could someone confirm for me if mencoder has since been updated so that
external vobsub file can be used when encoding?

I have no trouble modifying a vobsub idx file with a custom palette to
make subs easy to read on those videos where mplayer does a less than
optimal auto-detection, and can play these with the -vobsub option
passed to mplayer.  However, mencoder does not consider -vobsub a valid
option, and can only encode with the subs embedded in the source file

Thank you.