mencoder ... -hr-edl-seek ... -endpos

I am trying to transcode a video using an edl edit list
with -hr-edl-seek.  It works great except it keeps going
to the end of the title even when I am just trying to pull
something out of the early part.  I tried -endpos, but it
does not stop; I suspect -endpos is applying itself to
the output rather than the input; if so, that kind of sucks
because I do not know in advance exactly how big the
output file will be...