Re: too SLOW to play HD file

Oliver Seitz wrote:

Am 05.04.2009, 09:39 Uhr, schrieb Rilawich Ango
<maillisting@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,
When I use mplayer to play 720p (HD file) movie, it flickers so
much with the following message. What to do to make the movie
playing smoothly? ango

It looks like mjpeg codec.

VIDEO:  [jpeg]  1280x720  24bpp  30.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)

That in fact is not a video codec, but one still picture after
another. It's got some advantages to use when cutting and assembling
videos, but it's not a codec made for smooth playback. Due to the
immense data rate mjpeg needs, I presume it's just data can not
travel through your system fast enough. If you have to use mjpeg for
playback, go buying several of the fastest harddisks (like 10000rpm
types) and connect them in RAID0 or RAID5 array. That might give
bandwith that can cope with mjpeg.

Wouldn't storing the file on a RAM disk potentially also work, if disk
throughput is the problem?

--
      The Wanderer

side of it.