Re: too SLOW to play HD file

Am 05.04.2009, 09:39 Uhr, schrieb Rilawich Ango <maillisting@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi all,
When I use mplayer to play 720p (HD file) movie, it flickers so much
with the following message.  What to do to make the movie playing
smoothly? ango

It looks like mjpeg codec.

VIDEO:  [jpeg]  1280x720  24bpp  30.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)

That in fact is not a video codec, but one still picture after another. It's got some advantages to use when cutting and assembling videos, but it's not a codec made for smooth playback. Due to the immense data rate mjpeg needs, I presume it's just data can not travel through your system fast enough. If you have to use mjpeg for playback, go buying several of the fastest harddisks (like 10000rpm types) and connect them in RAID0 or RAID5 array. That might give bandwith that can cope with mjpeg.

If vou can use other codecs, recode the video to a codec with better compression. That is almost any other codec than mjpeg. Look at mpeg4, mpeg2 or x264 for a start.

Greets,
Kiste