Re: [RFC v2] MIPS: R5900: Workaround exception NOP execution bug (FLX05)

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018, Fredrik Noring wrote:

> > Substitute `mips:5900' for `mips:isa32r2' to get R5900 disassembly.  If
> > you want to see raw machine code too, use `disassemble -r', but watch out
> > for the syntax, which is different.  As you can see the trailing NOPs
> > required are already there. :)
>
> Due to trailing zeroes, I suppose. :)

 It's no coincidence and we use it to our advantage that an all-zeros
pattern is the canonical NOP instruction encoding.

> >  A handler for SIO is needed if SIOInt can be asserted without kernel
> > control by PS/2 hardware.  Otherwise handlers will only be needed once the
> > kernel has means to enable the respective exceptions.
>
> Serial I/O requires soldering for the PS2. Jürgen Urban, Rick Gaiser, and
> others have it and they can more easily debug the early boot stages. The
> proposed PS2 serial driver uses a 20 ms timer and polling instead of SIOInt:
>
> https://github.com/frno7/linux/blob/ps2-v4.15-n7/drivers/tty/serial/ps2-uart.c

 So it looks like a random SIOInt is not supposed to happen and therefore
I think a handler is not needed for the initial submission of the port if
at all.

> I don't have a serial port. My setup consists of ssh over a wireless RT3070*
> USB device. Obviously a great number of things could potentially fail in
> that chain but it is surprisingly reliable. :)

 This has prompted me to look at what PS2 hardware provides and it indeed
seems lacking in basic I/O connectivity.  What could one expect from a
game console anyway?

 Do you use the netconsole then too?  Using a USB serial port adapter
would be an alternative, although not a very powerful one either, because
you need to have many parts of the OS initialised before you can get to
such a port.

  Maciej