Re: undefined reference to `__multi3' when building with gcc 7.x

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 05:41:51PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> > > I think these days we've given up the stuborn resistance of the old days
> > > against adding new libgcc1 functions to the kernel, so we should probably
> > > just add it.
> > >
> > > I'm looking into this but a small wrench into the gear is that I'm still
> > > on GCC 6 so I'm off to building myself a cross-gcc first ...
> >
> > I now can reproduce the issue with vanilla FSF binutils 2.28 and GCC 7.1.0.
>
> Great! However, looking at the functions that end up calling __multi3,
> I'm wondering why suddenly gcc 7.x needs to call such a function, while
> the same code was compiling without __multi3 in libgcc with gcc 6.x.

Chances are it's something specific to MIPS64 R6.  Before trying your
config file I also tried a number of other defconfigs and all built
well.

Here's a test case which generates a reference to __multi3:

unsigned long func(unsigned long a, unsigned long b)
{
        return a > (~0UL) / b;
}

GCC rearanges above statement to:

	return (unsigned __int128)a * (unsigned __int128) b > 0xffffffff;

computing which requires 128 bit intermediate results.  This is the
code generated for MIPS64 R2:

	dmultu	$4,$5
	mfhi	$2
	sltu	$2,$0,$2

And this is for R6:

	move	$2,$4
	move	$7,$5			# $6/$7 contain the second op
	move	$6,$0
	move	$4,$0
	move	$5,$2			# $4/$5 contain the first op
	sd	$31,8($sp)
	balc	__multi3
	sltu	$2,$0,$2

  Ralf