Re: next build: 198 builds: 4 failed, 194 passed, 7 errors, 82 warnings (next-20161214)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 01:56:06AM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 01:52:14PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > These MIPS builds have been failing in kernelci ever since MIPS was
> > added.  This means that we've got a constant level of noise in the
> > results which makes them less useful for everyone - people get used to
> > ignoring errors.  Is there any plan to get these fixed?

> I had to "bisect" binutils versions to hit the allnoconfig and tinyconfig
> build issues.  Turns out it's a problem specific to binutils 2.25 which
> when generating 32 bit ELF does not permit the use of 64 bit constants,
> not even when explicitly to the 64 bit instruction set, for example:

> 	.set	mips3
> 	dli	$1, 0x9000000080000000

> The only fix I was able to find that will work with all binutils, is
> open coding the dli macro instruction as

> 	li	$1, 0x9000
> 	dsll	$1, $1, 48

> Which is pretty much what the assembler should have generated from the dli
> anyway.

Thanks - someone should probably tell the purpl people, it's their
toolchain we're currently using.  We did have a bit of a look yesterday
for other prebuilt ones but didn't come up with anything so I guess a
lot of people are going to be using that one.