Re: [RFC] MIPS: Add cacheinfo support

On 12/12/2016 10:24 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:

What Justin's patch is about is not so much about providing hints to
user-space to bypass the kernel's own management of caches, (even though
that has been used as an argument by the original introduction of
cacheinfo), but more to provide some information to user-space about the
cache topology and hierarchy.

I missed that, if it is for information purpose only, then it is OK.

Even though this is limited information this is still helpful to
applications like lshw and others out there.

What would be needed from your perspective to get cacheinfo added to
MIPS, shall we go back and address your initial comment about all the
little details about coherency, snooping and re-filling strategy?

It depends. Initially, I thought Justin wants to replace arch/mips/mm/c-XXX.c with some universal approach and listed the missed stuff for that (I actually missed some more points in that list).

But for information purpose I don't have any more addition to Justin's patch... may be the coherency status, it has impact on performance: coherency of L1D->L2, L2->memory and L1I->L1D/L2.

- Leonid