CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC prevents booting on IP27/IP30?

This one has constantly stumped me, but if I compile a kernel for either Octane
(IP30) or Origin/Onyx (IP27), and enable CONFIG_DEBUG_LOCK_ALLOC, ARCS refuses
to load the kernel over netboot, citing this error:

Option? 5
Command Monitor.  Type "exit" to return to the menu.
>> bootp(): console=ttyS0,9600 root=/dev/md0
Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.4 (from server )
Obtaining  from server

Cannot load bootp():.
Text start 0x1c000, size 0x16e1320 doesn't fit in a FreeMemory area.
Unable to execute bootp()::  not enough space

Booting from the volume header of the disk also doesn't work and ARCS reutrns
the same error.

Not really an issue on IP30 anymore, as I think I've worked out the spinlocking
problems there (just BRIDGE DMA bugs now, at some point).  But IP27 still has
that pesky hardlock with disk I/O that I just can't pin down.  Even an NMI
reset won't register anything on the console.

So I was hoping that debugging spinlocks might shed light on the issue, but not
if I can't boot the kernel from network or disk.

Any idea how to go about figuring this one out?  It's gotta be something with
the way the 'vmlinux' binary is linked together, but I'm not sure what.

--J