Re: IP27: CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE triggers bus errors

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 08:55:09AM -0800, David Daney wrote:

> Yes, you may be on to something here.  Certianly basic huge TLB support must
> be in place for TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE to work.
>
> It could be that the Kconfig symbols for the various portions of huge page
> support are missing the required dependencies.
>
> FWIW, I always build with a huge page Kconfig options set.
>
> I have:
> $ grep HUGE .config
> CONFIG_SYS_SUPPORTS_HUGETLBFS=y
> CONFIG_MIPS_HUGE_TLB_SUPPORT=y
> CONFIG_CPU_SUPPORTS_HUGEPAGES=y
> CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
> CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_ALWAYS=y
> # CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_MADVISE is not set
> CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
> CONFIG_HUGETLBFS=y
> CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE=y
>
> I suspect that you may not need CONFIG_HUGETLBFS, but CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE is
> probably essential.

IP27 also has NUMA as the only in-tree MIPS system - and it's NUMA support
is not in the best support state to say the least.  Just an observation -
at this point in time there is no obvious connection between either

  R10000 <-> transparent huge page

or

  NUMA <-> transparent huge page

  Ralf